Monday, December 31, 2007

Solstice of Revelations

POSSIBLE TITLE: FALLOUT
AND THEN THE NEXT SCENE, EVERYTHING CHANGES ON NEW YEARS DAY

Darwin's phone conversation--opening?

"Hello?"

"Hello, Mrs. Sullivan? This is Darwin. Is Cassandra there?"

"Hello, Darwin, and Merry Christmas. So good to hear from you, we've heard so much about you."

Not too much if you're wishing me merry xmas, lady, but I let it pass.

"Merry christmas to you, too, Mrs. Sullivan." Part of me winces at having to say that, but that's the immature side of me, really. christ and christmas mean nothing to mean, so the words ring equally hollow. They don't deign my integrity in any way.

"Thank you, Darwin. I will get Cassie for you."

Cassie, eh? That must be what her parents called her as a kid. She hasn't told me that, but then, we haven't known each other long enough, and a lot of the time we have spent together was during the book tour.

But I know I miss her...

Even waiting for her on the phone gets to me.

Then, my patience is rewarded:

"Darwin?"

"Hi, honey. How're doing?"

"Good, good. I know better than to wish you a merry christmas," she says with a laugh.

"Your mom already took care of that," I add dryly.

"Oh shit, I'm sorry. Too much eggnog, you know how it is."

"It's cool, better than her hating me."

"She definitely doesn't hate you, I told her how feminists love you."

"Some of them do--at least they did until Atlanta."

"And you won over Dad's sympathy after the bombing. Even if he doesn't agree with anything you have to say, he'll defend your right to say it without risking your head being blown off."

"Oh, so he hates everything I have to say?"

"I didn't say that."

"I know you didn't, I'm sorry."

"It's alright. Just dealing with the family around the holidays always leaves me...edgy. I wish I was painting...and with you."

"Thanks. Hey, it was a year ago tonight when I first saw you."

"That's right..." her voice trailing off.

"Except then, I was just another loser on the street that disgusted you."

"You didn't disgust me--" she protests

"Sure I didn't--that's why you turned your nose up and your eyes away when I tried coping a look at you."

"Probably because I was feeling guilty that I changed my mind at the last moment and decided to stay in San Fran instead of flying out here for xmas."

"See, you were miserable with your choice last year, and you are again this year."

"What does that say about me, Darwin?"

"That you're consistent."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home