Thursday, November 13, 2008

Entry XLI--Power Trio

Simon's so damn humble it felt more like he spent more time apologizing for moving in than he did actually moving in.

Kid only had a few boxes and a couple duffel bags o' clothes; he said he had most of his books and research materials--the things he really cares about--at his laboratory at CSU 'cross the bridge in Berkeley.

He chose the room in the middle of the flat's hallway; which was probably a good choice. The one spot where he's far enough away from both our bedroom and Cassandra's studio. Let's face it; while Cassandra has agreed to his moving in via our new...'understanding' (established in the bedroom) she's still not thrilled with the situation.

She thought this living arrangement, here in the flat, was just going to be about the two of us--and now that it's not, she demonstrated her displeasure with the whole arrangement by painting in her studio all the while he was moving in

Not that we needed her help, Simon's load was so light the two of us were able to handle it.

Standing in the doorway as Simon starts arranging what will soon comprise 'his room'; the process consisting mostly of his deciding which book should go on which shelf.

He studiously studies one book's location in particular; seems like he's deciding for a half hour where to put something called "Wider Applications of Aqua-based Nanotechnology"

It's only until an incredible amount of time has passed that he notices me staring over his shoulder, and he looks up at me more than a bit sheepish

"Uh...I can't decide if I should put it on the shelf closest to me in the bed."

"Yeah, because you can never be sure when you'll want to read about water nanotech at 3 a.m."

Apparently I find it funnier than he does; Simon's response is to bow his head, seemingly slightly hurt.

Now I feel shitty, great.

The whole exchange seemingly prompts Simon to retort:

"I hope I don't disappoint you and Cassandra in any way."

Nearly blow out the white tea I was sipping with that one

Takes me a moment to regain the ability to speak

"Trust me, Simon--you're not being held to any standard where you have to worry about 'disappointing' us. There are no expectations when it comes to you and me and Cassandra. We're all just living here."

Simon nods and maybe even smiles slightly; either way, I can sense his reassurance at what I said.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home